Saturday, August 4, 2012

Post numbness

Well it's been a couple of days since the bad news and we have adapted somewhat. Friends have made the difference. At work, my bosses have been extremely understanding and have been very forgiving about the time I will need in the coming weeks to be with Joe as we settle into this new
routine. We were very touched on Thursday afternoon when the parent and grandparents of one of Joe's piano students surprised us with dinner & desserts (thanks Kara and John); then last night we were invited out to dinner by the Minnick family and then back to their home for dessert (Yum, cobbler!!). But the best part was the conversation and laughs. Jay and Allana are such wonderful people and so easy to be around. And of course the kids are the best (Micah, put the cell phone up). Then there are all the emails, Facebook messages and phone calls - so many people offering to help in any way we need. All of which is much appreciated.

So how are we? I honestly don't know where Joe's head is. We talk of being positive, of fighting, and I know that both of us mean it, but inside I don't know what he is feeling. Putting on a brave face for me is a specialty of his. Yes we have had tears and neither of us has slept well for the past three nights. We both get very tired, go to bed and are able to quickly go to sleep but he wakes up constantly throughout the night just as I do. Even this morning when I thought for sure I would be able to sleep late since the previous nights I totaled about 7 hours combined and I didn't need to get up early, but no, I was up at 6:30, wide awake as was Joe. Last night I didn't put my book down until around 1am, and woke up at least 4 times. Hard to get back to sleep. Had to resort to reading some more two times. Sad to say but even with a really good book, I can only read about 5 pages before my eyelids shut. However in this case it turned out to be a good thing. Maybe tonight will be better.

Today should be a reasonably busy day. E-cycle in the a.m., followed by lunch with two of Joe's friends from Roanoke Rapids and then a trip to Costco. Of course the Costco trip is Joe's favorite part of the schedule.

I sill have some "Fight Pancreatic Cancer" purple wristbands/bracelets if anyone would like one. Free and it means a lot to us for people to wear them. Please just ask if interested. I will be placing a new order next week. My goal is to get as many out there as possible (and also the proceeds go to pancreatic cancer research).

Thank you to everyone for your support. Please keep it coming. It is what is making the days easier.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear you have received less than encouraging news. I think of the two of you often and wonder how you are coping. I also say a little prayer that God will send strength and healing to you both. Keep up the good spirits, positive outlook, determination and faith. I want to believe this new regimen will go well and the worries and fears of the present will ultimately be unfounded.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...