Friday, August 24, 2012

Bacteria Identified!

Well we have made a little progress towards a final diagnosis of the infection that is causing Joe's issues.  It's streptococcus.  How do they treat, extreme antibiotics.   They will be looking today carefully at Joe's port to see if that is the source and also will be doing an ultrasound of his heart to make sure there is no growth in/on any of his heart valves.  Apparently that is one of the favorite places for the strept to hide and attach itself.  Given its the heart, if there is some there, it can commonly break off pieces of the bacteria thus sending the bacteria once again flowing through his veins.  We certainly don't want that.  If there is some attached to the heart it would mean around 6 weeks of IV antibiotics.  However we would get to take him home for that. (more home health care I presume, or I will get a lesson on IV's - to go along with my current skill of wound vac pumps, chemo ball infusions, surgical dressing changes, and hernia binder placement).

So with that said,I'm going to venture over to my office, cringe at the backed up work if there is any, catch up some and come back ASAP.   I also need to go find out where Joe's breakfast is.   After 9am and no tray.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, prayers and concern.  We love you!  Keep the prayers coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...