Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Day 3 at Duke: Halloween 2012 Version

Joe started off the day with a low grade fever but was quickly given Tylenol and the fever subsided. Lab results from this morning showed his bilirubin down from the 3.5 of Monday to 1.3 this morning. Hopefully that number will continue to decrease to the .5 to .8 norm for him. Should have that answer after tomorrow's labs. Otherwise Joe has had a good day although a little tiring. Visitors most of the day and evening. Our nieces, Aimee and Sara came up from Hope Mills and spent the morning and early afternoon with him (Joe had a huge grin from getting to spend the day with Sara) and then this evening Mark and Jill came up and we all 4 had dinner together followed by Halloween candy and lots and lots of laughs. We always get together on Halloween so we saw no reason why a pesky hospital stay should interrupt the tradition. It made for a great evening.

Joe continues to be on two IV antibiotics: one every 8 hours for 30 minutes and one every 24 hours for 15 minutes. We haven't heard back from last nights cultures yet but it has only been 24 hours. We had been told he would have blood drawn for cultures daily, but thus far today, no blood letting. But since it happened twice yesterday maybe they have cut him some slack for today. His spirits are good as well as his appetite and general feeling of health. The jaundice has abated some so no pumpkin look today.

I went back to work today. Although I was worrying about him all day, even with the 9 or 10 phone calls and one FaceTime session, it was nice to be out of the hospital and back to doing normal, productive things. Mind you, I am not complaining. I am reminded of our first oncology appointment with Dr. Zafar almost two years ago when he said we would both adapt to a new normal. Our normal has changed repeatedly over the last two years, but even with the pain and anxiety, these two years have brought me and Joe even closer than we were before and have been filled with some incredibly wonderful and joyous moments. Those times are what makes these times easier. Those times and these remind me of just how much I love Joseph Lupton and what a gift and joy he is to me. Granted, I still am not amused by his sense of humor, once a nerd, always a nerd. But nerds are quite lovable. At least mine is.

He is sleeping soundly. I am wrapped in my cocoon in the chair. It may seem odd to some, but I think i could sit here watching and listening to him sleep forever. But of course the serenity will be shattered by a nurse any moment now with antibiotics. Oh well. That's what dreams are for.

Thank you to everyone. Our friends, our family: Bill, Phyllis, Sandy, Aimee, and Sara; all of PGUMC - Jay, Allana, Lucinda, Cleta, Fredda, Cindy H.,Chelsea, Challie, Donna, Julie, Ivy, Deborah - basically all of the choir; the nurses and staff of 93 at Duke Hospital (simply the most caring, sympathetic, compassionate people I've ever met - Lucie, Brittany, Jacquelyn, Heather, Britany, Lila, Jon, Sam, Joann, Stephanie, Katherine, Donna, Kim, and the list could go on and on); and my office for being so understanding about my absences (Kim, Dianne, Susan, Barbara P., Sandra and MA)....especially MA who was about ready to just leave the office to come be with me during Joe's surgery yesterday when he was not doing so well in recovery and I was quickly becoming a basket case. So many people that care. I hope all of you know how special you are. If I ever seem to take you for granted, call me out on it because I don't mean too. You have been my salvation. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...