Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 3 of 3rd trip to Duke

Today was a pretty good day at Duke as well, and I'm talking about Duke Hospital, not the whole ACC Championship thing....that I will save for Facebook!  I left early this morning and went home to clean up, do a load of laundry and visit with Dolly.  Joe's family arrived about 10:15am this morning.  His mom, Bettie, Brittany and Joshua.  I got back to the hospital around 11:30am just prior to Joe's lunch.  So while Joe ate, his family went downstairs and had their lunch as well.  I had picked me up something on my way back up to his room this morning.  Upon their return, I first took Bettie & Britt up to the 9th floor to see Joe's origami cranes and then I took Josh and Joe's mom up to take a look.  Although interested, I think Josh enjoyed the view of the Duke Life Flight helicopter more!  It was a good visit and Joe really enjoyed seeing his family and I'm sure it helped his mom & sister to see Joe in such good spirits too.

After they left in mid-afternoon, we walked some around the unit and went up to the 9th floor for Joe to see his cranes as well.  Then after dinner, we did another walk and all in all, although a pretty good day, he is a little more tired than usual and already asleep in bed.

Dr. Tyler has indicated that Joe will be going home tomorrow, but what time is anyones guess at this point.  He will be getting a special sponge & pump to go home with him as well as a Home Health care nurse to change/clean the incision.  However, I have been instructed that I will need to be present tomorrow when they demonstrate how it is done so if something should arise when the home nurse is not there, I will be able to handle it, or at the very least, not panic.  I'm SO looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope your discharge from the hospital is smooth and uneventful.
    Kevin Tillman

    ReplyDelete

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...