Tuesday, March 8, 2011

2 Weeks After Surgery

I know, I know.  I've been negligent with posting on the website about how Joe is doing.  A couple of reasons for that. 1- There really hasn't been much to report.  He sleeps a lot either on the sofa in the family room or up in bed.  Sitting isn't his favorite thing to do, or at least wasn't until I brought the office chair downstairs to the family room.  It is higher with arm rests unlike the other furniture in the room.  That has made it easier for him to lean back in as well as get up to a standing position.  His appetite has generally been good except for a day or two.  Sunday wasn't a good day for him.  He slept for close to 15 hours that night and I had to wake him just before noon to get him to get up, take his meds and eat something.  He didn't have much of an appetite that day and by late evening, he was complaining of chills and had started to run a slight fever.  We kept monitoring his temp all evening and by the time he went to bed early Sunday night, it had come back down somewhat.  However, me being ever the "hoverer", I packed a quick little overnight bag & took a shower just in case we needed to make a late night Emergency Department run. But we didn't and by Monday morning when I got up, his temp was back to normal, blood pressure normal and he said he felt much better.  Yesterday and today he says he has felt pretty good.  His family was here last Friday and his sister spent much of the time doing our laundry. Thanks Bettie, that helped so much. My sister was here all day yesterday to keep him company during the day so I knew if he started feeling bad again, I'd have someone to call me right away.  She also managed to get in a load of laundry also.  Thanks Phyllis, that was greatly appreciated.  There's something about having wonderful sisters.  Reason 2 for not posting: Since he got home on Tuesday and I returned to my regular work schedule, I'm lucky to not be asleep on the sofa by 7:30pm.  Sad, but true.

We have been getting meals daily from friends and co-workers and EVERYTHING has been delicious.  I don't know how to adequately express our gratitude.  On weekends, I am capable of coming up with something, but during the week with my work schedule we would either be eating much to late for Joe to be eating or having lots and lots of peanut butter sandwiches!

Joe has his follow up appointment with the surgeon at Duke on Monday, March 14th at 8:00am.  We are assuming that they will take out the staples from his incision at the same time.  I think I will wait outside the exam room for that part!

Thank you again for all the caring words, cards, prayers and hopeful thoughts that have come our way.  We truly are blessed to have so many caring people pulling for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...