Friday, January 14, 2011

Never Leave Your Cell Phone in the Car

LAST RADIATION TREATMENT TODAY!!!!!! :)

Went in for my last radiation treatment today. My cell phone was in the visor & I decided to just leave it there since I would just run in and out in about 10 minutes. Well........Celia (the nurse who is also a former JHS chorus parent and whose mission has always been to "take special care" of me) wanted to check me out since it was going to be a long weekend; however, Joan came to get me because Celia wasn't in yet. So Joan, checked my blood pressure lying down, sitting up & then standing up. All of the readings were supposed to be the same, but when I stood that reading was lower which meant that I was: DEHYDRATED! Guess I hadn't drunk the water that I should have over the past couple of days. So I had to stay while they intravenously gave me fluids. How was I to know that it was going to take over 2 hours!

Now here it the part about the cell phone:

Whenever I leave radiation, I always call Jeff to let him know that I had finished. At 7:50 a.m. he had not gotten that call. Joan did let me use the phone at the nurse's station to call him, but, of course, he was calling me at the same time so all I could do was to leave him a voice mail message saying they were going to give me fluids. At that time I didn't know it would take over 2 1/2 hours and neither did he. Needless, to say, I had about 4 calls from him on my cell and 1 at home. Finally, got out of there at 11:30 (about 3 hours & 45 minutes later) and gave him a call at work.

Besides, if I had my cell phone I could have been talking to others throughout the morning while I was bored. I did read cover to cover every last word in O Magazine from December 2008 and took a morning nap and listened to all of the sounds on the floor.

So.........always have your cell phone with you.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...