Sunday, July 28, 2013

Anticipation for next weekend

It's been more than a week since my last post.  Main reason, I've just been keeping myself busy.  I returned to work last week after my "vacation" and although I had gone in over the weekend to catch up on quite a bit of the closings, sales and new listings, there was still plenty of work on Monday to make the day go by quickly.  There was even a little left over to fill up a good portion of Tuesday.  However, after that, work slowed down quite a bit and when that happens, the days seem almost endless.  I believe I read every story posted on WRAL.com, Newsobserver.com and various other news sites on Wednesday thru Friday.  I am well caught up on current events.

Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday I went straight to the YMCA after work and so I didn't get home until 7:30-8pm each of those nights.  Saturday morning I mowed the entire lawn, did some much needed trimming of low hanging branches on some tress in the yard and planted flowers in four planters.  All together it was about 3 hours of outdoor work.  After a quick shower I was off to the YMCA for a short workout since I felt I had already sweated off a couple of pounds from the yard work.  Short workout and the sauna later and I was off for a late lunch and then home just in time before the evening showers began.  I'm still nursing an upper groin strain which happened during the Relay for Life event at the end of May so I'm having to take it slow on the treadmill lately.  Only a little bit of running and more moderate paced walk rather than my preferred speed walking.  The calories burn off slower but the pain is less.  Hopefully if I take it easy with that over the next month or so, I can build back up to more running.  As of this morning I have lost 31 pounds since I began going to the YMCA along with my change in eating habits.  I am so looking forward to the day I hit my goal weight.  I will celebrate with a Big Mac and fries!  I know the weight comes off quicker at first so I anticipate it will be at least 2 more months before I am at the point that I'm shooting for.  One I get there, then I will start splitting my workout more evenly between cardio and weights.  If I can just get the waist down 2 more pants sizes (I'm already down 2 sizes since I began).
My home away from home, the YMCA at Lakewood

Today was a good day.  I woke up before the alarm went off so I had extra time to shower, dress and have my morning coffee before church at PGUMC.  Wonderful sermon as always, but the highlight of my day was getting to see Kaitlan and Paxton at church.  I did not see them before the service but once I spotted Paxton up front with Jay during the children's time, I knew I had to find Kaitlan afterward.  Not sure what it is, but I just feel such a connection.  Maybe it's because even though circumstances are extremely different, I relate to some of her emotions right now.  It's also that I know from things that Joe said to me that I know she was someone very dear to him.  We would always pass by their house when we were returning to church after breakfast at McDonald's in between the 8:30 and 11:00am services.  Occasionally we would see Brian outside in the yard and Joe would enevitably say something to the effect, "I wish Kaitlan was still singing in the choir.  I always enjoyed being around her".  Now Joe never had anything bad to say about any choir member and was always positive about them all. (Unless it was I wish I had stronger sopranos, altos, tenors, basses....whatever he was in short supply of at any particular time).  But I didn't hear him say he missed someone or enjoyed a past choir member very often.  That alone let me know that she had a little something extra built in to her personality and attitude.  Had Joe still been alive when Paxton was diagnosed I know that he would have been so profoundly affected.  One because everyone reacts strongly to a ill child, but even more so because i know how much he thought of Kaitlan and of Brian too for all the help he offered with sound during special performances.  It's only since Joe's death and Paxton's illness that I've had the opportunity to get to know her better and it's been very easy.  For me there is a connection.  Not one that I can adequately find words for.  My heart aches for their family and when I see her smile, I imagine choir rehearsals and Joe looking at that same smile.  It seems like each time we see each other there are tears.  However, I have learned that tears are never a bad thing.  If you feel them rising up, let them surface, give in.   You will feel better, if only for a little while.

This coming weekend is going to be a very special one for me.  First, I will get to see Joe's sister Bettie and my niece and nephew, Brittany & Joshua during the day on Saturday.  Also on Saturday, Rob & Lola will be coming into town to stay with me for a couple of days.  That visit is sure to illicit some tears on my part, but I am also so incredibly sure that there will be smiles, laughter and plenty of Joe stories, including our wedding.  There are not two more special people in the world to me and I am so happy that they are visiting.  I'm sure with so much to look forward to next weekend, the week will drag by.  But I will do my best to fill each day (have to do some house cleaning) with work, workouts and anticipation.

I am blessed with so many people that continue to inquire about me and I am so grateful.  I'm also getting a lot of "skinny" comments, which I REALLY enjoy, but I'm not there yet, but I'm trying very hard.  Thank you for the kindness, prayers and good wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...