Monday, July 1, 2013

So what's up now that it's July?

That is the question.  What's up?  Well, what's up with me is quite varied.  First, last week, after working out at the YMCA for 4 days, I was very torn as to whether to stay home and just veg on the couch on Saturday or go in for a workout.  I turned to my Facebook friends to inquire what I should do...stay home or go workout?  So after listening to a variety of opinions, I decided to take the advice of the majority and go to the Y.  At first all was just fine.  Did my time on the bike and then moved to the treadmill.  By that point I was sweating really good, heart rate was at the desired level and I was jamming.....so while on the treadmill I need to wipe my face with the towel.  So I do what I always do, put my glasses up on my head, wipe the face and keep going.  However this time, after wiping the face, I made a quick swipe of the top of my head to get the sweat off of it.  But oops, my glasses are there and I knock them right off my head and onto the back of the treadmill and the floor...where they shattered.  Now mind you, most people have a spare pair of glasses, but I did not.  So there I am, at the YMCA, sweating and blind as a bat.  So what are my options????  Very few at this point.  I take a shower, look at the clock and it's 4pm.  Where do I get an eye doctor and optician at this hour on a Saturday??  Of course, the answer is obvious...COSTCO!!!!  So I slowly, blindly drive to Costco to see if the eye doctor outside the store is even open on the weekends...lo' and behold, she is and agrees to see me even though she closes at 5pm, it's now 4:30 and she has 2 appointments to finish up first.  At 4:59, I'm in the chair, getting the eye exam and trying to figure out what do I do without glasses in the meantime???? Of course she had the answer...temporary contacts.  I wore contacts years and years ago and after 5 or 6 years, got tired of the hassle and went back to my glasses.  But what else was there for me to do?  Nada...that's what!  So the doctor gave me 2 pair of temp contacts and told me to go get a pair of 125 drug store reading glasses.  The contacts serve great for far vision, but up close leave me still blind as a bat.  Hence the reading glasses.  So at this point I've had the contacts for 3 days, still don't like them any better than day one and can't wait until I get my glasses back sometime next week.  What was supposed to be a short trip to the Y turned into an all day affair.  I had plans...well not really plans, but I had thought the day through.  After I was convinced to go to the YMCA by my "friends", I decided I'd first go to Bandido's and get some salsa to take over to the Minnick's for Jay's birthday and their upcoming trip to Lake Junaluska.  So I went and got the salsa, went to the Y and then instead of making the trip to Raleigh in the mid afternoon, it was more like 7:30pm when I got there.  Nothing like busting in on friends trying to have a peaceful dinner.  But ever the gracious family, they invited me in and by the time I left, I had enough food for a week!  I love me some Minnicks!!!!!

Sunday was just the norm, church and then home with a nap on the couch while the torrents of rain fell around me.  Lake Holland-Lupton was in full force in the backyard up until bed last night.  Today it's more like Swamp Holland-Lupton.  With an 80% chance of more rain tomorrow, the lake might return.  At least it's only in the 80's this week, but let's face it folks...this humidity is brutal.  I took tonight off from the Y but will be back in my routine tomorrow evening after work.  With the holiday thrown in here this week, my schedule will be way off.  But I figure I can get Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and possibly Sunday if no more tragedy befalls me on Saturday.

Emotionally, it's been better.  Mark Boliek went with me to the Y last Friday evening and it was nice to get to spend some time with him and to have someone to talk with while there.  I got the information for the 2013-14 Communications committee at PGUMC that I am chairing so I'm trying to get in touch with all the members so hopefully before summer's end we can at least have one meeting where if nothing else we can get to know each other and set up a schedule for future meetings.  Also last week, there was the SCOTUS ruling on DOMA and Prop 8 in California.  I so wish Joe had lived to see this.  He was so looking forward to seeing DOMA dismantled.  I know he's watching, but it would have been so nice to have been able to come home from work, give him a hug and kiss and watch the evening news with all the celebrations.  But that didn't happen.  But I will be inquiring about the necessary paperwork to apply for his SSN benefits.  Hopefully, since we were legally married at the time of his death, the powers that be won't come up with some rule that it's not applicable for those recently deceased.  I don't really have my hopes up, but I'm going to give it a try.  Seems logical to me, but then I'm not the most logical person anyway.  We'll see what happens.
Vacation is now officially less than 2 weeks away (July 13th....YAY!!!!!).  As long as I have glasses, I will be ready for driving, rest and relaxation.

Thank you for all the well wishes and good thoughts.  I am still extremely appreciative for all the support I continue to receive from my friends and family.  Speaking of family, please say a prayer for my sister-in-law Bettie as she goes through some medical issues this week.  Thank you and I hope everyone has a wonderful Fourth of July celebration!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...