Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Bittersweet Kind of Day

Today has turned into a bittersweet kind of day.  Today at 3pm, I finished my last regularly scheduled therapy appointment at the Duke Cancer Center.  What had once been weekly for the first 3 months, then bi-weekly for a couple of months and since late June, once every three weeks, came to an end today.  After discussion with Jennifer Harsh (my therapist), we decided that maybe this was a good time to stop the regularly scheduled visits and just go with an "as needed" approach.  It comes at a good time for her because as of today she is FULL TIME at the DCC.  However, full time means that approximately 75% of her time will be devoted to research and 25% to counseling/therapy sessions.  This means that if I'm having a particularly hard time or feel the need to reach out to her, her schedule of patients will be far less and thus her schedule much more flexible to see me or just talk on the phone.  While I'm glad that we both feel I've reached the point where this will work, it also means letting go of one more thing that bonded me to Joe, the Cancer Center itself.  After 2 1/2 years of almost weekly visits, it became part of a comfortable routine.  After his death and I began counseling, it remained part of my routine.  I felt comfortable going there.  I even have some good memories there:  when we got good news of no growth but tumor shrinkage; seeing Dr. Zafar & Leigh Howard (who I still adore and admire so much); the familiar and caring faces of the various nurses and staff.  They all became a little bit of an extended family.  One that I have missed, but with my counseling sessions, even though I didn't see them often at all, I knew they were there.  Today, although I can go back anytime I feel it necessary, I moved one step further away from them.  That is what is bittersweet and makes me a bit sad.

After saying goodbye to Jennifer, I got on the elevator and had a good cry on the way down to the 1st floor and on my walk to the parking garage.  I just felt like I was letting another tiny piece of what Joe and I shared slip away.  I know it probably sounds silly to others, but even though it is a very big positive step forward for me, I couldn't help but be sad.
The Duke Cancer Center (left)    Duke Medicine Pavilion (right)

I can't say enough about the care that Joe received and then I have received at the Duke Cancer Center.  It is a world class facility, but even if it was in shambles, if the same employees were there, you couldn't be in better hands.  I owe you 2 1/2 years that I got to spend with Joe that I probably would not have had otherwise.  I also owe you 7 months of helping me regain my footing when it seemed like the ground was crumbling beneath my feet.  If a small crack reappears, I know where to turn.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...