Saturday, July 14, 2012

All Good Things Must Come to an End

Unfortunately, that is the case with vacations too.  This morning our week at Holden Beach came to a close but we handled it in style.  We packed last night everything we possibly could, we woke up early this morning showering and packing the last few items.  By 8am we had the car packed and were on our way.  Official check out isn't until 10am, but by getting out 2 hours early, we avoided the traffic backup that always occurs since there is only one road on Holden Beach.  We had time to stop at Ludlum's produce stand where Joe bought lots of fresh veggies, as well as stop at Hardee's for sausage biscuits.  Even with 2 stops we were in Durham before noon (we even went by the car wash on Fayetteville Road before coming home).  It took practically no time to unpack the car and get settled in at home.  It's always great to go on vacation but it's also great to be back at our home.




The last day on the beach Friday was a bit overcast, but we still got in several hours of relaxation.  I attempted a couple of "self portraits" only to discover that my neck is the same size as my head.  Time to loose weight!!!!  Oh well, that's for later on.  Last night, Joe wanted to go to Beck's in Calabash.  For those that don't already know, I don't eat seafood, of any type.  And yes, before you say it, yes I am southern, yes I like the beach, yes yes yes, I've heard it all before.  However, none of that changes the fact that I simply can't and don't eat anything that comes out of the ocean or a river or lake or any body of water.  The smell of seafood sickens me.  Clear?  Anyway, as usual I will do anything that Joe wants without even the briefest of objections (yeah, right).  So off we went to Calabash.  Joe originally ate there back in the 70's and I think it is safe to say that they haven't changed anything since then.


I spent the entire dinner trying to avoid looking (but it's like a wreck, you can't help but look) and being grossed out by the people on the aisle opposite us who were having the unlimited crab legs.  The waiters kept bringing plate after plate of these creatures that looked like something out of the movie "Alien" to them. .  I'm sure people sitting near me heard the gagging sounds I was making.  Joe had his crab cakes and shrimp (which I tried to avoid looking at too) while I had barbeque, fries and hushpuppies.  But the worst thing of all is the smell.  How do you people stand it????  I breathed through my mouth for over an hour.  And let me tell you this, it takes talent to breathe through your mouth and eat at the same time.

Joe insisted before we left that I get a good shot of the sea oats on the dunes.  I don't know why but he is fascinated with them as well.  So I did.  It's easier to just oblige than to question why.



Right now we are relaxing, enjoying the color in our cheeks and proud that for the first time in the last 14 years, I didn't come back from the beach sunburnt.  

Thanks for all the comments this week and words of encouragement.  We had a great time!

P.S.: Dolly was happy to see Joe upon our return also. She came out immediately to greet him.  Meowing and rolling over.  When I came in, she just sat there, looking bored.   Pretty typical reaction to me so my feelings were not hurt.  She's been at Joe's feet ever since we settled down in the family room.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...