Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Can't We Have Just One Week Without a Trip To Duke?

... The answer is apparently not. Joe awoke this morning with chills and so I took his temp around 6:10am. At that time it was 102.1 so he took 2 Tylenol and rolled back over in bed. I took my shower and after getting dressed for work, took his temp again at 6:45am and it had dropped to 101.7 . I called the oncology triage phone number and left a message. I had to open the office this morning so I went on into the office until other staff got there just before 8:30am. About 15 minutes after I got back home, the triage nurse from the Duke clinic called and asked him to come to the clinic. So here we sit. He has had his blood drawn and we are now back in an exam room. His temp is normal, his oxygen level is good at 99, pulse rate is at 94 but his blood pressure is low at 106/51. The nurse just brought him a large cup of water and some cookies and crackers so he is happy eating and reading the newspaper. Me? Not so happy, the worry wart is taking over. The tune from "Hee Haw" just keeps going through my mind...." Gloom, despair and agony on me, deep, dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair, and agony on me.".

Ok, we are now in radiology waiting for Joe to have an ultrasound on his right leg. He has been complaining of some pain in the shin/calf area. They want to rule out a blood clot. He just went down to get it done leaving me sitting here with a lady who is very talkative. Please let this ultrasound be quick. Topics to discuss are getting sparse.
Chatty lady from Salisbury
Joe is out of the ultrasound and I have pushed him in the wheelchair back to the clinic (not a short trip by the way). Now we wait again in the clinic to see the NP and get the lab results. Joe is trying to eat $60 worth of the cookies to make up for the co-pay. The cookie platter is practically empty at this point. And I want my chicken salad sandwich that I made this morning for my lunch.

It's now 1:25 pm and we are back in the exam room again waiting for Leigh. Lab results in:
white blood cell count is elevated (up 7 points since last Monday), ultrasound on leg was fine however. Ordering more blood work apparently...Leigh left frustrated. But now she is back.  We are now going for a CT scan BACK over at Duke North. Joe is going back on the Ciproflaxin antibiotic and if he gets to feeling worse we are to come to the emergency dept ASAP. Also, if Leigh gets a bad report from the CT scan she will call and possibly direct admit Joe to the hospital. Joe's temp is now back up to 101.2. Not sure what effect that will have on things. At this point, the CT scan is set for 5pm. Joe has had more blood drawn (5 times thus far today). He is beginning to look like a blue mummy with all the blue bandage wraps.
A blue mummy with attitude

Finally I got my chicken fingers!!! Since we have the break we went over to the cafe to get something to eat. But we are still just sitting and waiting until 5pm. We were thrilled when Lucinda & Challie Sullivan arrived to sit with us in the cafe.   Thank you so much for keeping us company during our wait.  I was also very happy to see my favorite doctor from throughout this whole ordeal starting back in October, Dr. Richardson.  She was the chief resident in surgery and I really liked her take charge attitude and extremely caring manner.  I knew she was leaving Duke this month to take an attending position at a hospital out of state so I didn't think we would see her again, but while we were sitting in the cafe she came in, saw us and came over to say hello.  It was very nice to be able to thank her again and wish her well in her new position.

Finally, we went off to Radiology for the CT scan and checked in about 4:40pm, Joe was called back at 5pm, changed into the lovely gown (see photo below)
Now if that isn't an image that will sear your brain, I don't know what is.

Joe is very tired, has already eaten his dinner and will be making it an early night.  Tomorrow, barring any issues, he is under strick orders (from me) to not do anything.  Not even leave the house until I get home from work.  Should there be any rise in fevers, chills or other symptons during the night or early morning, we will be going straight to the Duke Emergency Department, so he had better behave himself.

We just received a call from the NP, Leigh Howard (who I absolutely adore....she is the BEST) and she has seen the CT scan which shows the stint is in place and isn't clogged so the infection should not be coming from that.  She did have a bit of good news too in that the scan showed that the tumor has shrunk some.  That almost makes today worthwhile!!!!  She will call again once she has the blood and urine culture results. That could take a couple of days. 

Thank you to everyone who has called and inquired today.  Your love and prayers are felt and much appreciated.


2 comments:

  1. Joe, I laughed out loud at Jeff's comment about the cookies! Tony always eats those cookies when we go to the clinic, too. (They're not even that good!) Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

    Laura Delauney

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that the tumor is not growing. Hang in there, both of you! Yes, I enjoyed the picture of Joe in the gown. I will be wearing one myself for my surgery on the 23rd,and I can barely wait!! Take care,and keep that sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...