Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Holden Beach 2011


Now isn't that a serene sight?  We arrived at Holden Beach around 5pm on Saturday and for the most part have been relaxing.  I say "for the most part" because it seems nothing we do or nowhere that we go does drama seem to not follow.


These 2 photos were taken Saturday evening (around 6pm ish) on the wooden walk down to the beach. I had to have Joe take my photo multiple times before I just gave up and kept this one.  It seems he doesn't fully understand how to work my phone camera.  I'm not only smiling there, but also explaining to him how to work the thing simultaneously.  I should have been a ventriloquist.
OK, but now for the drama.  Sunday was a wonderful day that we relaxed and spent hours upon hours on the beach.  Joe stayed in the shade of his umbrella since he was just finishing a round of antibiotics that had warned to stay out of the sun.  But he relaxed, read and listened to the surf and had a great day.  I enjoyed the day as well going in and out from under my beach umbrella getting a little sun.  Then came 4:30am on Monday morning.  Joe was up taking Tylenol, running a high fever, having extreme chills and shivering along with throwing up.  His temp got up to 103 again and I was up running around packing, convinced we were leaving ASAP.  Joe however had different plans and although I packed up our clothes, food and linens, he just laid in bed saying no, we were not going anywhere.  I got the number to the nearest Walgreens so I could call the doctor and have something sent to the pharmacy if necessary.  I got directions to the local hospital and prepared to take him to the ER.  Joe however had different plans and just stayed in bed.  He can be very hard headed.  By 4pm, he was feeling a little better and by 6pm, he was up and in the living room with me.  His only complaint was feeling a little weak.  Once some food was in his stomach he said he was much better.   So although I still think we should have left and gone back to Durham, he got his way and I think was a little pleased that he got his way instead of me getting mine for a change.
We had planned on getting together with some of Joe's family that lives here in the area on Monday night, but since he was under the weather, we had to postpone until this morning (Tuesday).  From left to right that is Timothy, John, Joe, me (Jeff), Holly and Kaitlyn.   Vicki was taking the photo but did switch places with Holly so she could get the photo below.


We even got a photo of just me and Joe.  One of the few good shots I think we've taken lately.  The best part is that I'm behind Joe and you can't see my fat belly!  Right after Joe's family left, I went down to the car only to discover that my battery was dead.  We were planning to go off the island for lunch, so after AAA came, installed a new battery (the trip is getting more and more expensive) we were off the island for a quick lunch and then back to the house and onto the beach.  Speaking of today at the beach, I have never been on the beach with such strong, sustained winds.  I was unable to open my umbrella and Joe had to lower his to barely over his head and hold onto it for the next 2 1/2 hours.  We got full dermabrasions from the sand that was blasted over us all afternoon.  But the day was beautiful and we even took in a walk up and down the beach for awhile.  All in all a very good day.  The best part, Joe has felt very good today and has been able to enjoy himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...