Monday, May 9, 2011

The Early Bird Doesn't Always Get the Worm

You've all heard the phrase, "The early bird catches the worm"?, well apparently that message doesn't translate well at the Duke clinics.  Joe's appointment for labs was for 7:30am so we figured we would try and get there a little early and maybe get ahead of the game.  So we arrived at the oncology clinic at about 7:05a.m and checked in.  Joe settled in to read his newspaper and I went downstairs to the food court to get his usual Brisk Sugar Free Orange drink and my large steaming cup of Seattle's Best Coffee.  I paid for his drink and then crossed the food court only to find that no one was at the coffee spot and it wasn't even open.  So I walked all the way back to clinic 1A with just Joe's drink in hand, disappointment written all over my face.  However, while I was gone they had called Joe back to have his blood drawn for the lab work.  The plan is working....except for my coffee.   I waited until 7:45am before walking back downstairs to the food court to try for my coffee again, but the coffee spot was STILL NOT OPEN!  So with frustration, anxiety and a good case of dragging my feet since it was now nearly 8am and I still had had no caffeine, I walked back up to clinic 1A.  Joe still sat there.  And that is where we stayed until 8:45am.....30 minutes late since the doctors appointment was for 8:15am.  After 15 minutes sitting in the exam room, Leigh Howard, NP came in, spoke to Joe and me, asked a few questions, went over some lab work, and sent us on our way to check out and make the next 3 doctor & chemo appointments.  By this time it is 9:20 and we still have to get upstairs to clinic 2A for the chemo treatment.  Did I mention that his appointment for there was for 9:15am?  And the last thing you want to do is be late for your chemo appointment, because they skip right on over you and then "work you in later", and sure enough, it was close to 9:30am before we got there.  So we settled in.  Only plus: they have coffee, so 2 cups later I am feeling better - they also have cookies, so several cookies later and some hot chocolate, Joe is feeling better.  But we sit,...and sit....Joe works on his new cell phone..and we sit....and sit until 10:35am.

Just as I open my computer to resume watching a movie on Netflix, the buzzer goes off and we are off to the chemo treatment room.   Joe even got to go to a different chair this week so we had new scenery.  Lots of empty chairs.

I resumed my movie, the hospitality volunteer made rounds offering us food and drinks.  I passed since I was now on my caffeine buzz , but Joe got his usual orange juice and settled in after the nurse got the IV going.  He is currently reading "The Help", so he had a good solid hour and made some real progress with it.  It seems like everyone we encounter at the hospital has read it and talks with him about it.  I just sit there with my headphones on watching my movie on the netbook.  It takes approximately 1 hour for them to give him his fluids, chemo and then flush the line so by 11:40 we were on our way out to the valet to retrieve the car.  The moral of this story, next time we sleep later and get there at the time of our appointment.

P.S.  Joe gained another 1.9 lbs this week!  YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...