Monday, May 2, 2011

Chemo went smoothly

Well I called it pretty close to right this morning with regard to the timing for Joe's chemo treatment.   We didn't get upstairs to the treatment center until about 9am and Joe was called back to begin around 9:15am.  The nurse had a little problem getting the IV needle in and had to stick him twice.  That always  starts things off on the wrong foot but she did very well the 2nd time and from then on it went very smoothly.  Joe read and I watched a movie during the treatment and they finished up with him about 10:15am and we were off to retrieve the car from the valet.  Since this was a work day for me we didn't get the greasy hamburger lunch like last week.  I dropped Joe off at the house and I was off to work for the rest of the day.

Chemo Treatment Waiting Room at Duke

Joe spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon catching up on a  couple of recorded TV shows and reading 3 newspapers (since he slept through Sunday he had not read those 2 papers).  He had lunch alone, ahhhhhhhh, but wait, don't feel too bad for him since he had leftovers from Daniel's in Apex and Papa Johns.  He made a quick run to the grocery store for stuff for dinner tonight and made an excellent meal for us.  He did have a period of 4 to 5 hours during the day when he was having "hot flashes", I'm not even going to go there.  This evening though he has felt good, spent an hour on the phone listening to his mother and then talked with a couple of friends.  Currently he is playing "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" on Facebook so I would have to say he is doing pretty well.  He just needs to listen to his body and slow down or stop when he starts feeling rundown.  Easy for me to say, not so easy for him to do.

Wait, wait, wait...don't log off.   I just remembered what I wanted to mention when I started typing.  When Joe was weighed in today, he had gained 4 pounds!   THAT put a huge smile on my face and I do believe Joe was rather pleased himself!

That's about it for tonight. I am off to bed as I can hardly keep my head upright.  Thank you to everyone who has visited this site, left comments, sent emails and kept us in their prayers and thoughts.  It is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...