Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Music - any other type this time of the year?

With the help of Jill Boliek, the Chancel Choir of Pleasant Grove UMC which I conduct, was able to perform our special Christmas music for the congregation at both the 8:30 & 11:00 services. Last week while I was anxiously sitting in Duke Hospital Monday through Friday, I was wondering how I would be able to be involved in our music presentation. Luckily, the choir likes Jill and they really worked hard at Wednesday night's rehearsal and on Saturday morning. Jill & I decided that she would conduct from the piano the first 4 pieces with the choir standing behind the piano, then move to the steps in front of the piano with me conducting the final 3 pieces while seated. (Wasn't sure I could make it through them without tipping over!) Everything worked out well at both services. In fact, many of the congregation said it was one of our best presentations.

So then the next question would be if I would be able to do my annual Christmas Piano by Candlelight this evening. Jeff kept checking my temperature to make sure it wasn't up. I was able to get my music together this afternoon (was planning to practice last week but Duke's hospital rooms do not come with an electric piano!). We got there & saw a leaf blower right in front of the piano. Actually turned out to be a vacuum cleaner. The church was getting cleaned at 6:20 p.m. People were going to start arriving soon. Challie Sullivan (my official page turner since she was in elementary school) and I got the music in order. The Sullivan family basically ran the concert acting as ushers, running off extra programs as needed, working the lights, etc. The turnout certainly exceeded my expectations. It was a wonderful evening with everyone listening and appreciating my performance of 10 different piano arrangements. Of course, I had to end with Children Go Where I Send Thee/Go Tell it on the Mountain which was the favorite of a lot of the attendees. Challie was even able to sell a few more CDs (all money raised goes to the music fund).

I am now home and a little tired. About to go to bed because I've got a 7:30 radiation appointment, then meet with the radiologist while at the same time I'm supposed to check in with the oncologist. I anticipate that Jeff & I will be at Duke most of the morning. That Hardee's Sausage Biscuit is going to be a little late.

An aside: Jeff just asked me if I was writing War & Peace because I've been typing a LONG time.

Well, some have wondered if I ever post.................

PS Christmas Piano by Candlelight CDs are still available for purchase in the Pleasant Grove UMC Church Office or just let me or Jeff know & we'll tell you how you can get one!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Joe, what a concert!!!! Incredible as always. What a great way to de-stress and focus on the beauty and spirit of Christmas. Thank you so much. Cindy Wiedel

    ReplyDelete

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...