Friday, April 25, 2014

April: In like a lamb, out like a lion?

Is it April or March that comes in like a Lion and out like a Lamb?  Or is it in like a lamb and out like a lion?  Regardless of what month is associated with saying, or the order, I will attribute it to April.  April 1st the company I work for merged with another company.  Changes ensued, of course.  Now as all of you know, like many people, I have had my fair share of change.  The last few years, maybe more than my share.  I’m not one that embraces change as my own personal history has not associated change with “good”.  However, when there really isn’t anything you can do about it, you really don’t have any other choice but to make the most of it.  So that is what my mindset has been for the last two weeks as the whirlwind of work activity has settled into a manageable routine.  With the merger, one of the guarantees that the owners of the former company negotiated was that staff (me and one other) would still have employment opportunities.  That guarantee made the Chapel Hill office different from the other offices because there is typically only one staff person filling our particular positions.  There are aspects of the jobs that we do that is not replicated in the other offices however.  Therefore it presented a dilemma.  What to do with two people??  Short term answer is that I will be splitting my time between my Chapel Hill office and our corporate office in Raleigh.  The reason for me doing the splitting is because of my particular skill set that can be utilized in Raleigh, especially during spring market.  So for the time being, I will be in Raleigh 2 days a week and Chapel Hill 3 days.  Not a problem for me as I have enjoyed the break from the agents in my office and the camaraderie at corporate…thus far.  Even the commute is about the same with only a 3-5 minute extra travel time to get to corporate.  Is this not interesting???  :)   The point of the above paragraph is basically that I’m going through more change.

Also as April comes to a close, it means that Relay for Life is only a month away.  We have some great fundraising events coming up.  First up is the PGUMC outdoor plant sale going on today and tomorrow at the church.  Three gallon plants, $12-$15 each depending on the variety of the plant.  Come out and get your flowering plants & bushes for your yards.  Spring is here!  Next up will be the “Paint It Forward” event at Wine & Design.  Come out for an evening of fundraising and walk away with your very own painting.  After that comes what may be the most fun: “Homebrew for Life”.  Three home brewers will have their wares available to sample away.  Make a donation for Relay for Life and have a tasty brew(s).  Information on all of these events can be found by visiting the PGUMC website of just email me and I will gladly send you any and all details.  Caroline & Leslie have worked really hard to make these events become a reality and those of us involved in Relay are very excited and grateful.   What isn't so exciting is the fact that I seem to have hit a brick wall with my own fundraising.  Yes, the number has ticked up some, but not what I had hoped for. (hint, hint….sympathy…poor pitiful me).  I had expected a slower year this year than last but I haven’t been quite able to get the momentum going as we head into the home stretch of the last 45 days.  

So of course, here is my plea.  Relay for Life through the American Cancer Society is responsible for more birthdays being celebrated in 2013 & 2014 than ever before.  Each extra birthday represents a person whose life has been extended due to new treatments as a result of research funded by these events.  Most everyone reading this has been affected by cancer in some way.  A mother, a father, a sister, a brother, a husband, a wife, a boyfriend, a girlfriend, a relative, or a friend.  We all know someone.  Someone who has been diagnosed, who has battled, who is battling, who has won, or who has lost.  I know a large number of people who have fought and won.  I know a group of people who are currently fighting and who I pray win.  I know those who have not won.  My mom did not win her fight against colon cancer.  My husband did not win his battle against pancreatic cancer.  I walk for both of them, to remember.  I walk for Paxton, Charlie, Mary, Mitch, and Cathy, who either are battling or who have battled and thus far won the fight.  I invite anyone who is reading this to come out to our Relay for Life on May 30th-31st.  Come walk with me one lap, or ten laps, or just hang out and talk.  Feel the energy.  Feel the hope.  Feel the love.  Feel the need.  I know most can’t be there (although if you do, you will be forever changed).  If you can’t, you can be there in spirit by making a sponsorship donation for my walk.  As I’ve said before, last year changed me for the better.  With each step, I feel Joe beside me.  Through the laughter and the tears of the fellowship that we share at the event, we all are touched in some way.  A link to my Relay donation site is at the bottom of the post.  All donations go to the American Cancer Society.  You can make a donation online or you can print off a donation sheet and mail in a check to the Raleigh American Cancer Society.  Please make the checks payable to the ACS.   I ask for your support.  I need your support.

Only as a community working together can we ever effect change and make cancer in all it’s terrible forms a remnant of the past.


Thank you for your time, your prayers, your friendship and your support.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...