Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Just One of Those Days

Actually instead of a day, more like just the last 24 hours. It began last night after dinner when I had the bright idea of syncing my iPad with iTunes since I had not done so since late last year. So after opening iTunes on the laptop, I went into the settings on my iPad to do the wireless sync. Well for some reason the iPad wasn't recognizing that iTunes was open on the laptop and so the sync icon would not work. Therefore I said what the heck, I'll do it the old fashioned way and plug the iPad into the computer. I did, it recognized the iPad and the sync began. After going for about 20 minutes, all of a sudden the laptop shut down and started to reboot. Updates were installing....with no warning. Finally the laptop came back up and then I got the message on the iPad, " iTunes" and a symbol of a USB connection pointing at the word. Well of course I reopen iTunes and then get the message that " iPad in recovery mode. Press continue to reset iPad to the original factory settings." We'll I don't want to reset it to factory settings! I have photos, email, documents, practically every facet of my life for the last two years is on the thing. Then it really hit me.....all my candid photos of Joe for the past two years are there. Every doctors appointment, chemo infusion, trip, laying on the couch, sitting on the patio, hospital stay...EVERY PHOTO OF JOE IS ON THERE AND I HAVE NO WAY TO RETRIEVE THEM. To say I was stressed is putting it mildly. But I didn't get hysterical or anything. No "Holland fit" as Joe called it. I just sat here for 30 minutes looking at the message with tears running down my cheeks. What could I do? I had no choice but to press continue. Calm, sad resignation. So I did and I sat and watched as the software reset. It took about 15 minutes before a message came on the laptop screen asking me if I wanted to name this iPad or did I want to use the old name, "Jeff's iPad". I of course said use the old one. That was when the miracle began. Slowly it started adding everything that had been on the iPad, back onto it. After about an hour, the iPad came back to life, with everything on it...including my photos. Then I did cry.

Today when I got home there was a letter from a collection service wanting $164 for Duke Energy. But the collection was under Joe's name. So I called Duke Energy and lo and behold, the old account shows $164 due and the new account shows a $164 credit. Guess who credited the wrong account? So after dealing with that (talking to service providers on the phone is one of my least favorite things to do), I started heating up some barbecue for my dinner. The barbecue was frozen so I was having to break it up as it heated up. Being the non cook that I am, I managed to knock half of it out of the pan and onto the stove. Being the idiot that I am, I move the pan over to another burner, turn off the flame, then reach for the iron burner stand to get the barbecue out from under. With the burner only being off for approximately 20 seconds, the metal was quite warm. One might say hot. Burning hot. The fingers on my left hand are evidence. Large burning blisters on two fingers. It makes typing fun. :( But the barbecue was good!

Lets hope tomorrow is less eventful!

1 comment:

  1. jeff for some reason i never noticed u had a blog. i haven't been on the computer for a while==from about november till late last month or maybe january=i have a bad case of CRS=CAN'T REMEMBER SHIT=LOL==seriously my memory has gotten worse in the last couple of years. i have burned my hands and fingers 5 or 6 times in the last six weeks doing as u did= not thinking about something might just be hot when u reach into the oven and touch it or my fave=the top element as u pull out the roast. from the comments i read today from u and others i assume Joe lost his battle=i hope i am just reading things wrong=if i am right i am so, so, sorry. i have been praying for him and you. maybe u could call me at 910-484-4469 or send me a private message. much love to you my friend always. please contact me==MICHAEL GRIMES

    ReplyDelete

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...