Saturday, November 10, 2012

This Weeks Draws to an End

It's Saturday night and this week is drawing to an end. And for the first time in many, many weeks, it has been a good one. Joe has not had a single fever, has felt good every day, has not had any real issues with his antibiotic infusions or tablets, had a good choir practice, good doctors appointment and NO hospital visits! All in all, I'd take duplicate versions of this week each and every week.

At this week's oncology appointment, Joe and Leigh decided that when he resumes his chemo, he will be doing the 1 large dose every three weeks. Since we are going away the week of Thanksgiving, he will start on the Monday after we return. The reason for the delay rather than starting the week of Thanksgiving: he will have to go to the infusion center the day after he gets his chemotherapy treatment to get a shot to boost his white cell count. Since we will be in mountains, that would be hard to do, so we will just wait another week.

Joe has been on oral antibiotics three times a day since he was released from the hospital and will be on them until next Saturday, November 17th. Also since his release he has been infusing a liquid antibiotic once a day for an hour through his picc line. That will end this coming Wednesday, November 14th. After his infusion that day, he will have the picc line removed. Dr. Zafar doesn't want anything foreign in him for any longer than necessary. The home health nurse will remove it after the infusion. Joe is really looking forward to that coming out. Wrapping his arm in plastic wrap and press-n-seal to take a shower is getting really old.

But this post isn't about complaining (which I know seems to be all I do sometime). Since the first of November, many Facebook friends have been posting something that they are thankful for each day. So with that in mind, I thought I might list some things I am thankful for as well.
1- I am most thankful for Joe. For the last 15 years he has given me love and strength. He has taught me how to be a better person and brought so much joy into my life that I couldn't possibly ever repay him.
2- I am most thankful for my family. My sister Phyllis, her husband Woodie, my nieces Aimee & Sara and my nephew Wayne. My brother and sister-in-law, Bill Lupton & Sandy Okasaki. They are a constant source of love and support. I know that I have sometimes taken them for granted but I truly appreciate how much they have done for me and for Joe. They love us unconditionally and show that love all the time.
3- I am most thankful for Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church. Everyone from our pastors to the staff to the choir to the general membership have been caring, supportive and loving in every way. I never thought such a large group of people could find a place in my heart in such a big way.
4- I am most thankful for my friends. Joe and I have wonderful friends who reach out to us all the time. I work with an incredible group of people who are always there to lift my spirits when I am down and to help me smile when I didn't think I could.
5- I am most thankful for Dr. Yousef Zafar & Leigh Howard. Our oncology team has been with us on this journey for 2 years and they have always made us feel that we are priority number one. They inspire us with their optimism and positivity. We have had 3 different nurses during the last two years: Minoka, Mark & Darryl - All three of you are treasured and both of us appreciate everything you have done for us.
6- I am most thankful for our radiologist, Dr. Czito; our surgeon, Dr. Tyler; and all the nurses and staff who helped us during those trying times.
7- I am most thankful for the nurses and staff of the 9th floor of Duke Hospital. We have made 6 trips to the 9300 wing. Every time the care that Joe and I received was incredible. Every nurse was caring in such ways that one would not think possible. They looked after Joe day in and day out, helped me day in and day out, comforted me on those bad nights, made me smile or laugh on those really bad nights and always treated us and our relationship with the utmost respect.
8- I am most thankful for my health. Even though I have always been the "sickly" one with all my allergies and aches & pains, I know what real sickness is.
9- I am most thankful for the readers of this blog. You take the time to read my ramblings because you care about Joe and about me. You take the time to comment and send words of support. You say prayers. You offer help. I write this blog as a way to help myself deal with things. I write to help my sanity. I write it with no expectations of it being read, but you do read it. I thank you.
10 - This one will seem strange. I am most thankful for the cancer. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could snap my fingers and it was gone. I wish this terrible disease had never reached out and touched Joe. I wish cancer of all types could be eradicated. But it is here and it is a part of mine and Joe's life. But even though physically it has done it's damage, it has not defeated us in anyway. What it has done is bring me and Joe closer. It has changed our relationship for sure, but for the better. It's hard to argue over the petty stuff (although Joe will probably disagree that I still argue over petty stuff). We have found a better level of understanding of one another, a better understanding of what we mean to each other. Simply, we are better together now than before. Three years ago we were plodding right along, taking many things for granted, maybe even taking each other for granted. We don't do that any more. Now we treasure every day and every experience. Cancer gave us that rather than taking something away. For that I am thankful.

Thank you for your prayers and words of support. I thank you and appreciate you taking this time out of your busy day to read this post.

P.S. I have received some very nice comments to this post from some highly cherished friends. Here is but a sampling:

"YAY!!! You know it's a good week when there are no fevers and no hospital visits!!! Enjoyed your blog post. Hope you get to savor the delight of a fever-free/hospital-free week. See you tomorrow." Allana

"What a beautiful post you wrote tonight. WOW! That is awesome to be able to be thankful in the midst of all you two are in the midst of! Very impressive! What beautiful people you are! God bless you both! Fondly," Fredda

"I am thankful that Joe has been fever free and hospital visit free this week.
I am thankful that Rob and Joe met on that first day at uncg in 1974.
I am thankful that you and Joe call us friends.
I am SO thankful that you came to Connecticut to get married and to renew/cement our friendships.
I am thankful I have met all the wonderful PGMC folks AND got bread!
I am thankful that you both get tender loving (and skilled care) at Duke.
I am thankful for technology like skype, imovie, iphoto, etc that helps bring us closer in funny Cheeto kinds of ways...AND in ways like seeing Joe's wonderful piano concert!
I am thankful for the blog that keeps us up to date.
I am thankful that we had such a WONDERFUL visit with you this summer. We still talk about it.
I am thankful that we have things to look forward to sharing together.
Hugs!" Lola

"Jeff, You are an amazing and gifted writer. When I read your words, I can just hear you talking – like we are sitting and chatting in person. That is a wonderful talent. So I am thankful for your blog. I love you both so much and I want to stay informed on how things are going. I want to know how you are feeling and how Joe is feeling. Through your blog you keep me in the loop. Dave or one of the girls will ask me once or twice a week if I have any news on Joe – has Jeff updated his blog, particularly when Joe is in the hospital. So I’m not only in the loop, I have become part of the loop of information and love and prayers. Love," Cindy H


"What a beautiful post! Indeed, dire illness often brings so many issues into their true perspective. It's the fire that can either destroy or burn out the dross from a relationship; I'm glad you two have come through thus far with a stronger bond." Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...