Monday, September 10, 2012

Chemo is Complete....at least the part at Duke!

After yesterday's bad afternoon and evening, I really wasn't looking forward to today's chemo for fear he would feel even worse. I had a doctor's appointment myself this morning but rescheduled because I wanted to be sure and make it to Joe's. I dropped him off at the Duke Cancer Center at 7:25am for him to get his lab work and I went and opened my office. Joe called me around 8:10am and said he had seen Leigh Howard in the cafe and possibly he would get into see her before his appointment time. Sooooo as soon as the other staff was at the office, I skeedaddled off to the DCC. I got there just after 9am and found Joe in the waiting room. We waited and did manage to get in to see her before his scheduled appointment time.  She of course was concerned about the pain that Joe has been experiencing and with the nausea and vomiting. After discussing many options and possibilities, we did come to one conclusion. Him taking his pain meds on an empty stomach contributed greatly to his nausea! Duh!!

Today his back pain has decreased significantly. Why? Who knows. It just has.

He didn't sleep much at all last night so he was very tired today during his chemo infusion. Right after I went and got us lunch, he was out like a light! Snoozing and snoring away.
And considering we didn't leave Duke until 5:20 pm, he had plenty of nap time.  Of course he has the 5-flu take home chemo infusion that he'll carry around until 3pm on Wednesday but he is already a different man.  Instead of laying in bed, moaning and groaning in pain; after going through 5+ hours of chemo which typically drains most people; Joe, although still sleepy, has eaten a good dinner (thank you Hope!) and is relaxing and feeling good while reading the paper.

What a difference a day makes.  After 12:30 yesterday afternoon, Joe didn't even sit up the rest of the day and now he is all smiles....with his little black chemo purse.  He's already wanting to go to bed early so we will probably head upstairs by 8:30.

I want to really say just how much we both appreciate all the phone calls, messages and emails yesterday expressing concern for Joe and asking to help in any way.  We love all of you and are so appreciative of the support that we receive from our friends.  I wish I could hug each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...