Monday, April 23, 2012

And Now We Wait.............

Yep, that's what we do now. Today Joe had his scheduled CT Scan at the Duke Cancer Center. Although getting his lab work done took awhile, once that was done he was in and out of radiology very quickly. The only problem now is that we have to wait until Thursday morning to get the results when we go for his regular oncology appointment and chemo infusion. It will be a long 4 days. But we've made it through the waiting for results from past scans, so there's no reason this should be any different. But those of you that know me know I'm not a very patient person. That added to the emotional roller-coaster that Joe and I have been on the last month with his mother and sister, makes for some anxious times.

Joe did finally speak with his mother today, but it wasn't the conversation he had wanted to have, and he hadn't planned on having one at all with her today. However, when the mail came, lo and behold, there was a letter from her (actually more like a series of rambling notes) but also included in the envelope was the bulletin from the Baptist church that Joe grew up in. It seems that his mother visited there recently, she always returns to Roanoke Rapids to have her taxes done so that's probably when she last attended, and felt the need to include the bulletin. And guess what was in it....c'mon, take a guess.....If you guessed an appeal to the congregation to go vote in favor of North Carolina's Amendment One on May 8th, then you're a winner. The same crap that was in the bulletin from her church in Greenville that she sent, and claimed ignorance of - "I never would have sent it to you had I seen that in there" - she goes and sends from another church. Joe called her up to tell her to stop and her response was once again, "I didn't read that in there, I only sent it because your name is on their prayer list". Really? You expect me to believe that as much as you pour over every little detail of every little thing, that on 2 separate occassions, you didn't notice the Amendment One political pleas, and on those same 2 occassions you just happen to send the bulletins? I might be naive about some things, but I'm not stupid. I know passive aggressive when I see it, hear it or read it.

I've written several letters to her over the past few weeks and this past weekend, Joe sent her a letter as well. We had thought that his first communication with her would be via letter, but when her letter arrived, Joe took the bull by the horns and called her. According to him, it wasn't as hostile a conversation as the last one he had with her, but it wasn't a pleasant one either. I wish I had the nerve to post the letter itself. If it wasn't so incredibly sad what effect this has had on Joe, it would almost be comical. He did post a photo of the section from the bulletin on Facebook today. It was quick on getting comments too.

I want to take a moment and switch topics, if I may. I want to thank some people in our lives who have been especially thoughful and caring. I could just say the entire congregation at Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church, as everyone has been wonderful but there are some specific people that have truly become incredibly special to me for a variety of reasons. You are the people who weekly take the time to come up to me and speak, shake my hand, lend an ear, make an inquiry and offer a prayer and a smile. Having Chelsea and Jeanette bring the babies over and letting me get some sugar from them. I love each of you for your caring. I didn't think I could fall in love with such a large group of people, but it has become so easy because all of you have been so wonderful to me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...