Wednesday, October 12, 2011

So Sorry for the Delay

I do apologize for the delay in reporting in on Joe's Monday doctor and Chemo appointments at Duke. There were a couple of snags that day starting with the express self check in system. Joe scanned his barcode in around 7:15 for his 7:30 a.m. appointment. However, by 8:00 a.m. they still had not come and given him his buzzer so he went up to the desk and checked and of course they did not show him as checking in. They went ahead and gave him his buzzer and it wasn't long before it went off and he had his blood drawn for his labs. Then we waited in the waiting room for about another 20 minutes before they called us back into an exam room. Mark his nurse came in first and then Leigh Howard the NP came in for the exam. This was also the last in a three series of appointments that were recorded. Joe had agreed to the study a couple of months ago. It is amazing how aware you can be when there is a little recorder sitting there on the desk. I tried to be on my best behavior but when Leigh commented that Joe hadn't had a chance to get a word in, I shut up! Well, not really, but I did stop talking for a couple of minutes and during that time Joe still didn't talk much. It was very much like our early appointments where Joe never spoke. But anyway, there were no problems, he is maintaining his weight and his labs were as normal or abnormal as usual so after leaving the exam room he was off to the Chemo infusion center on the 2nd floor and I was off to work. By the time I got to the office, he was texting me that he was in a chair in the treatment area already. So except for the "bump" at the beginning and me apparently talking too much all went smoothly. Two more treatments to go in this cycle and then a week off as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...