Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Move is On....

...actually the move is over.  At 4:45pm we got word on the 9th floor that Joe was moving to the 2nd floor after all.  So at 5pm the transport arrived (otherwise known as a wheelchair), I loaded my pillow & blanket onto Joe's lap, struggled to get Joe's bag of "stuff" on one shoulder, my bag with phones, computer, Nook, my green notebook of all of Joe's appointments/medications/lab results/procedures (yes I keep a notebook of everything) on my other shoulder and my bag of drinks & my dinner in my hands and off we went to the 2nd floor, otherwise known as the surgical floor. Room 2116. Basically we are 7 floors, 1 room over and opposite wing from where we were. On the positive side, the helicopter landing pad is no longer just outside the window I sleep by so the noise should be less and we are on the west side so the morning sun will not brighten the room so quickly as this morning.  Maybe sleep after 7am is possible for both of us tomorrow.

Joe's dinner tonight was as he put it, "The Best Meal I've Ever Had At Duke".  Roast beef, mashed potatoes, carrots & peas, salad w/thousand island dressing, dinner roll.  He scrapped every morsel off the plate.  Temp continues to be normal and his 2 nurses until 7pm, not much longer, are very nice and attentive: Katie and Martha.  Thanks to both of them for making the transition to the new room so easy.

Also a big shout out of Thanks to Julie, Jacquelyn & Rhonda on the 9th floor for a great night and wonderful day today.  All were sweet, caring, attentive and fun.

So the basics: in room 2116, surgery as we know at this point is still on for Tuesday, but that could change if the fever should start back up.  So it is time for me to unpack again and settle in hopefully for another early night to sleep.
And this of course is what Joe has been doing most of the time....talking on the phone!
Also a big thank you to Mike & Jeff for their visits today.  It really lifted Joe's spirits to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...