Saturday, May 25, 2013

Success

That word has such a nice sound to it, doesn't it?  But it can mean so many things to so many different people.  Some people judge success by the amount of money they make or have; other people judge success by their happiness; and others judge success by accomplishments.  I certainly don't have the money to consider myself a success, I have very few accomplishments that I am truly proud of, and of course lately, my happiness has been on the slow ride out of town.  So why label a post success?  Simple.

This week I exercised more than any week in obedience to my doctors wishes; this week I had only one "junk food" meal in obedience to my doctors wishes; this week I have gone to bed early every night with the exception of last night; this week I completed a "homework" assignment from my therapist; and this week I raised more money towards my Relay For Life goal.  So although most of the accomplishments this week were baby steps, for me it felt like progress and that feels like success.  For the first time in months I have not wallowed in self pity.  Yes, I have had some incredibly sad moments, but I worked through them.  I reached out to people honestly with how I have been feeling and they responded, well most of them anyway.  One still alludes me, but I can't worry about that right now.  Bigger fish to fry!

Last night my sister and brother in law are visited.  This evening I hope to take in a movie after I finish mundane chores like laundry and planting flowers in the flower beds and planters.  Sunday morning church and then Sunday evening a house full of activity when two wonderful families come for dinner.  The house will be full of kids and adults.  If its cool enough outside, maybe we can burn a log or two in the backyard fire pit.  Life returns to the house.  My therapist, Jennifer, is proud.  I did what I said I wanted to do rather than just complain about it.  YAY me!

Also a HUGE YAY to my Relay for Life fundraising.  As I type this I am just $29 short of $3000.  Who wants to be the one to push me over??  It could be you, or you, or you.  I'm so looking forward to the event on Friday night.  I know there will be some extreme highs and lows emotionally, but I am so psyched for it.  Joe Lupton would be so proud of me for raising the money and committing to being there for the event.  But then Joe was proud of me for so many little things.  He was just that type of guy.  Wow, it is still hard to fully wrap my head around the concept that he is gone.  I still wake up at night and in my sleepy, groggy haze, reach over expecting him to be there.  It's usually just a couple of seconds, but it is the strangest feeling when it happens.  But right now, I am just so happy that so many people have given so much to support me in this endeavor.  I will not let you down.  I will be there all night.  Walking as much as I can.  Catnapping when possible.  I know I will meet some wonderful people and that part excites me as well.  So with just 7 days to go, it's not too late.  Large or small; pennies or dollars- a donation in support of Relay for Life is a donation to give someone or many someone's an extra birthday.   Click below if you would like to make a donation.

To everyone who remembers me in their prayers, who takes the time to text, email or call, who offers their hand or a hug, I thank you each and everyone.  I plan to have LOTS of photos from the Relay event.  Thank you for your donations and support.  I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...