Friday, April 12, 2013

Birthday Week Comes to a Close

Although I had not dreaded my birthday week as much as I did Joe's, I still had my reservations as it was just another first.  Also, Joe always made such a fuss over my birthday.  Much more than I made over his.  I always got gifts and presents from him as well as gifts and cards from our pets.  It was always amusing how he would try to disguise his handwriting when he signed cards from Dolly or our little boy kitties when they were alive.  I would always just roll my eyes and Joe would grin so big. Although so silly, he got such a kick out of it.   But then he was nothing if not silly at times.  But that was just another way he expressed his love and I had to love him for it!

However, the week turned into a good one.  Monday was just another day so nothing to write about there.   On Tuesday I had my scheduled counseling session at the Duke Cancer Center (I'm now on the every other week plan) and then after that I went over to PGUMC to meet Caroline and Kevin to do my part for the Relay for Life video that we are doing for the PGUMC Relay team.  Although emotional, it was something I very much wanted to do and a cause I very much wanted to participate in.  I had not signed up yet for the Relay for Life team so when I got home, I did just that, made my donation and got to work setting myself a goal and then started my campaign to get people to donate in support of the cause.  Yes, you are right..you know where I'm headed.  Another plea for a donation in support of my Relay for Life.  When it comes to cancer, I have no pride and will beg.   When it comes to my Joe and what he went through, what I have gone through and the grief of losing him, I will beg again.   I know these are uncertain times for many people financially.  I know that everyone can not donate.   If you can't, I completely understand but for those that can spare a few dollars, please give.  It is an incredibly worthwhile cause.   It's not for me, it's not for PGUMC, it is for cancer research, for cancer patients, for cancer survivors and those that did not survive this incredibly horrible disease.  Click below to donate.


That brought me to Wednesday and my birthday.  I went to work as usual but had my elective CE class in the afternoon from 1:30-5:30 pm.   Any local REALTORs out there that have ever had a CE class with Bill Gallagher know that it is quite amusing and by and large preferable to an afternoon of work. At 7:30 I met a group of friends for dinner at Angus Barn.   My very good friend Mike Heath had coordinated and planned everything.  Along with Johnny Hall who works at Angus Barn, my friends made this a wonderful evening.  Of course the food was excellent as always, but the best part was just being with a wonderful group of friends.  We talked and laughed and had a good time.   I can't thank them enough for coming out to celebrate my birthday and at the same time, remember Joe and how important he was to all of us.  It really was a special evening.   Thank you Mike, Johnny, Jeff, Jill, Mark, Artie, Lara and Joe.  You have no idea how much that evening meant to me.  Also, thank you for the gifts!
Johnny lights the candles as the fireworks are ablaze
Left to right: Joe Wood, Lara Hamblen Wood, Mike Heath, me, Artie Cline, Jill Boliek, Mark Boliek, Johnny Hall, Jeff Whicker
A better group of friends would be impossible to have!

Thursday I was still stuffed and I just barely made it through the day.  I have become an early to bed kinda guy and we didn't leave the Angus Barn until 10:00pm so after winding down Wednesday night, I didn't get my required amount of sleep.  Thus, my dragging around on Thursday.  However I went to bed early Thursday night so today was much better.  That along with the rain made for a very nice day.  This weekend will be more yard work, UGH!!, and reading the book that our book club is reading.  I didn't get the last one finished so I am determined to finish this one.

Thank you to everyone who sent Happy Birthday wishes both on Facebook and cards by mail.  Each one put a smile on my face and warmed my heart.  Thank you to everyone who has already donated to Relay for Life.  I so very much appreciate it.  Many thanks and lots of love to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...