Monday, April 8, 2013

A Chance to Better Myself

I've mentioned this to several people over the years that I had a desire to one day if at all possible take some college courses just for the sake of learning. You know, learn stuff just for heck of it. Not worry about grades or tests but just take or audit some university level courses on topics that I found of interest. Joe and I had several conversations on the subject over the years and we planned that at some point when I was able to retire, I would do just that. If Joe was also interested, he would do it with me. He liked the idea but having been in the classroom setting as a teacher for so many years, didn't completely share my enthusiasm. Can't imagine why. 😊

Anyway, now I have an opportunity to try it out, thanks to Duke. I may not be retired, but I do have lots of "extra" time on my hands. So with that in mind and with the opportunities that Duke has for alternative learning, I am officially enrolled in my first course. "HEALTHCARE INNOVATIONS" No auditing, actual learning. Course syllabus and all. I even get a certificate upon completion. Yeah, not what I imagined in my discussions with Joe, but I'm excited about the opportunity. Of course, my choice of courses was "Joe based". Hopefully I will find it interesting and stick with it. Who knows, maybe I'll end up a scholar! Haha!! But it is a chance to gain knowledge and better myself. A little education never hurt anyone.
Only time will tell what I'm getting myself into.   Tomorrow however, I have a counseling session at the Duke Cancer Center during my lunch time and then after work a quick trip over to the church for a little project.  I'm thinking Lynwood Grill might be in my dinner plans.  This Wednesday is the big day.....yeppers, My Birthday!  I'm going to do my best to keep my wits about me and not think too much about what my birthdays have been like in the past.  This will be another first but I'm going to try really hard to keep smiling.  My dinner will be at Angus Barn that night so that is most definitely something to look forward to!!

And this evening, Kaitlan posted on Facebook that the doctors are letting Paxton go home tomorrow. Another reason to smile.

I am so grateful for the many birthday wishes I have already received.  I have wonderful friends and family and I am so thankful for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...