Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The "No Chemo" Week is Supposed to be Uneventful

My understanding thus far through this journey is that the "no chemo" week should be uneventful.  Don't really know why I have that understanding, I just do.  One would think by now that I would have learned the error in my thinking but apparently I haven't.  Last summer during our week at the beach, which was a "no chemo" week, Joe started with chills, fever and had a really rotten day, but got over it.  A couple of months later, same thing.  Back in March, on a Thursday of a "no chemo" week, he was running a fever and we had to cancel our plans for the evening.  Joe hasn't had chemo since May 10th.  Last week was no chemo week.  So why does it surprise me that today, Wednesday, the day before his next doctors appointment and treatment, he has chills and is running a fever.  Have I actually become an optimist?  Is that why these fevers surprise me?  I'm finding it hard to believe that cynical me can change an attitude like that.  It's probably more likely that I'm just in denial.  At least this time, he has a scheduled doctors appointment the day after the symptons.  But anyway..........

With Wednesday's fever and chills, Joe had to cancel his planned lunch (he has a group of friends that have a standing lunch on Wednesday) as well as his piano students and choir practice at PGUMC.  The piano students were probably dissappointed but I'm sure the choir danced a little jig when they found out no practice.  I have to admit I'm glad to not have the drive to Raleigh and back.

Thursday, Joe has a labs appointment at 7:20am followed by his oncology appointment at 8:20am at Duke.  For some reason, his chemo isn't scheduled until 11:30am but after he is done with his doctors appointment, he will go ahead and check in at the chemo infusion center.  Hopefully they will be able to squeeze him in a little early.  If there is an open chair, maybe they will pop him down in it and he won't have to wait in the waiting room (although it is very nice) for a couple of hours.  Of course, this is all assuming that his fever is gone and they will even do the infusion.   Only time will tell at this point.

I'll pop a quick post in tomorrow morning when we know what the doctor says and if the chemo is indeed happening.

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes to Joe on Facebook today and as always, for the prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...