Monday, November 21, 2011

Early Day at Duke and Jeff has a Week Off!

Late to bed, early to rise makes for a massive need for coffee.  I napped a lot Sunday afternoon and then last night found it difficult to sleep.  Not sure if one had anything to do with the other but it definitely made for a sluggish morning getting to Joe's 7:30am appointment at Duke Oncology.  But we made it with 10 minutes to spare.  Plenty of time for me to go get my coffee and Joe's large diet lemonade from the food court.   Blood was drawn promptly at 7:30 and now we wait for the call back to the exam room to see Leigh Howard or Dr. Zafar.  I'm thinking Leigh, but regardless I hope we are running on time.

From here we have a trip to King's Sandwich shop (Joes choice) but I'm pulling for the Atrium Cafe at Duke Hospital.  Best chicken strips ever!  Then we plan various trips that could include Costco, Pleasant Grove UMC, Target, DPAC, Honeybaked Ham store, Harris Teeter and a couples of other places that are slipping my mind.  We probably won't make it home until dark at this point.

Been awhile since I've been to chemo with Joe except by FaceTime.  Not that I've missed it mind you but this week Joe won't have much of a chance to be away from me.....ahhhhhh togetherness.

We have the interfaith Thanksgiving service at PGUMC on Tuesday night and then we leave Wednesday morning for 4 days at Myrtle Beach. A nice quiet Thanksgiving filled with catching up with movies (Breaking Dawn, Descendents, Moneyball, etc). But right now it's 8:24 and we are still in waiting room...waiting...hence the name of the room I guess.

Not a big crowd here yet so still hopeful of being on time, although buzzers are going off all around us, just not Joe's.  We did get back to the exam room around 8:45 and got to see both Leigh and Dr. Zafar!   His lab work was within normal ranges or at least what they expect it to be (he's a little anemic) and much to his dismay, he's gained 4 more pounds.  We didn't quite make it up to chemo on time so we had more than an hour wait.  But look how cute Joe looks with all those tubes plugged into him :)

We were out of there by noon, but didn't get home until 3:45pm after running all the errands.  But since it was still daylight, I took the opportunity to rake up more leaves that have fallen from the trees in the front yard since Saturday.  I'm sure we will have to rake a couple of more times before all is said and done.

All in all a very nice day even if 5 hours were spent at the Duke Clinics.  Thank you to everyone for your continued prayers and good thoughts.  If anyone is free on Tuesday evening, please join us at Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church at 7:30pm for the interfaith Thanksgiving service.  Joe and I have so much to be thankful for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...