Friday, May 13, 2016

And the beat goes on...and on...and on

Yep, the beat and everything else goes on.  HB2 is still the MONSTER in the state and wreaking havoc on all things progressive.  But no one is going down easy on this and we have some wonderful allies, including the federal government.  But no reason to rant about this on here as you can see my daily, sometimes hourly rants on Facebook & Twitter.

Last weekend was Out!Raleigh 2016 and it was wonderful.  The estimated attendance this year was 50,000!  Last year was 25,000 and everyone thought that was incredible.  There were so many people streaming in and out all day long.  Steve and I were there for about 2 hours.  First down one side of the street and then back up the other looking at all the exhibits, making a couple of purchases (who doesn't need a new rainbow flag?), talking to friends and past acquaintances and generally having a good time being out and about among people.  The atmosphere was one of joy and admittedly defiance.  The protesters (last I heard there were a total of 3, not 3 protests, just 3 protesters) were kept at a distance and I heard of no confrontations.

Work is keeping me more than occupied and I am so ready for July and a trip to the beach.  Who doesn't need a week of relaxation, sand and surf?

As I type this, the UMC General Conference is in day 3 of it's 10 day meeting.  Thus far, although there has been plenty of talk, nothing has been settled.  I am still hopeful but not optimistic.  Bottom line is that I will know by May 20th whether I will remain a Methodist or not.  There are so many ways that all this can go down.  1- The language in the BOD is not changed.  If that happens, I leave. 2- The language in the BOD is changed, but not in a way that makes the progressives 100% happy.  If that happens, I leave.  3-The language in the BOD is removed, or changed, that make the progressives 100% happy.  If that happens, I stay.  If version 1 happens, it is conceivable that the UMC will cease to exist due to a complete schism within the church.  If that happens and the church becomes 2 separate entities, then I will have the option to go with those that are of a like mind.  If version 3 happens, the most likely scenario is that the conservatives leave the church and there is a complete schism within the church.  If that happens and the church becomes 2 separate entities, then I will have the option to stay with those that are of a like mind. (sound familiar).  Obviously, regardless of what happens in General Conference, I have the option to do what I want to do.  I have been going to UPUCC regularly for eight months now.  Is it ideal?  Not necessarily, but it does allow for me to be the true me.  It does value what I value.  If I could have the PGUMC people, behave & believe like the UPUCC church, then I would be thrilled.  Will that ever happen? No.  Not even if conference res the way I want it to go.  PGUMC & UPUCC are filled with different people, with different attitudes.
My choice, after conference, where I feel I fit best.  Many options to consider.  Today, I will watch more coverage of conference and continue to weigh my options with regard to what is best for me.

So that is where I am.  Happy, ready for change if needed, but moving forward regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccination date set

 This morning at 8 a.m. we began the process of trying to get an appointment date.  I had 3 appointments at the Duke Cancer Center so I was ...